Protecting Dual Counties Since 1802
Help us to continue making a difference in the community. Please make your tax deductible donation to Carlisle Fire Company today!
Recent News Stories
On this date in 1892 a notice was printed in the Milford Chronicle that an application will be made for a charter to the Milford Fire Department.
On this date in 1892, was recorded the following;" the fire laddies took out for another drill and squirt. They played four streams at one time with pressure from the pump, to an approximate height of 75 feet".
In Janurary of 1921, leaders from various fire companies around the State convened a meeting at the Carlisle Firehouse in Milford to discuss establishing an organization for the purpose of serving the Volunteer Fire Service throuhout Delaware. At the meeting those on attendance authorized Carlisle to begin developing the necessary steps to formimg just such a State Association. Letters were dispatched to all fire companies throughout the State to send two representatives to a meeting at the Carlisle Firehouse on February 24,1921. The response to the purposed meeting, resulted in nine Fire Companies sending the following delegates, from the Robbins Hose Co. of Dover; Alonzo W. Clifton & Samuel H. Carson, from the Harrington Fire Co.; James Harmisted & Warren T. Moore, from the Lewes Fire Dept; F.W. Williams & T.R. Duffel, from the Milton Fire Dept; Samuel Fithian & R.B, Banning, from the Carlisle Fire Company of Milford; James P. Pearce, R.E.Pettyjohn, Charles E. Varney & C.B.Holzmuller, from the Georgetown Fire Co.; Joseph G. Green & Thomas V. Pepper, from the Laurel Fire Dept.; M.T.Calloway & W.T. Bennett, from the Volunteer Hose Co.; W.R.Gary & Edward S. Jones and the final Fire Company that attended the Citizen Hose Co of Smyrna; Harry Collins & John D. Morris. Carlisle representative Charles E. Varney was appointed temporaryChairman and called the meeting to order. The following resolution was adopted: "Be it resolved, that we, the delegates of the Volunteer Fire Companies in the State of Delaware, in conventionassembled in order to form a more perfect organization,establish harmony, insure prosperiity and success, obtain and compile statisitics concerning the practical working of various apparatus, cultivate fraternal fellowship among the companies and promote the best interest of the Volunteer Firemen of Delaware, do hereby form an organization to be known as the "Delaware State Volunteer Firemen's Association". Officers of the newly founded Association were elected as well as by-laws adopted. Carlisle's Charles E. Varney was elected President of the Association, a position he held for three years from 1921-1923 and where the Carlisle Fire Co. of Milford became the Birth Place of the Delaware Vounteer Firemen's Association and known today as The Delaware Volunteer Firefighters Association.
It is with the deepest regret that the Carlisle Fire Company announces the passing of Firefighter Robert "Bob" Caiola. A 21 year member, advancing to the status of Associate Membership.
On this date in 1892 the members moved the truck and hose carriages to the "new quarters" at Reis's Cannary. Following the relocation one reel of hose was taken to the Central Hotel, where the hose was attached to a fire plug (hydrant) and a stream (water) was thrown about twenty (20) feet over the building, which was the tallest building in Milford at the time. The comment was made "it is now in order for the insurance companies to make donations to the company. A hundred dollars each company having large risks in Milford would equip the boys "nicely"'
On this date in 1892, the Charter Members recognized following the February 12th meetimg met at the Central Hotel and effected a temporary organization. Theodore Townsend moved that W.T. Watson be temporary Chairman which was unanimously approved. Frank Reedy moved that Theodore Townsend be temporary chairman which also unanimously passed. Charles Tuthill moved that a committee of three be appointed by the chair to employ an attorney and secure the charter. Those in attendance agreed and appointed William F. Causey, Theodore Townsend and George W. Marshall. Followed up, George W. Marshall moved that a committee of five be appointed to suggest and report a " Form of Constitution" and by-laws and a temporary chairman shall be one of this committee. The motion was approved and the Chair appointed; W.T. Watson, George H. Hall, Walter Pardee, Capt. J.A. Hall and Charles Tuthill. George W. Marshall moved that six temporary fire directors br appointed to work the hose and teach other members how to connect and disconnect with both hose and fire plugs. The motion was approved and the Chairman appointed the following members who were, S.N.Gray, W.E.Lank, George Little, Frank Reedy, W.N. Dorsey and Frank Kramlich. George H. Marshall motioned that the members meet at Reis's Cannery at 1:00 pm on the 16th. for the purpose of taking the "fire apparatus to the new quarters provided by the town. The motion passed and the meeting then adjourned to meet at 8:00 pm on the 18th.
Be A Hero
Thu Feb, 25 2021 @ 19:31
Nature: Medical Emergency
Thu Feb, 25 2021 @ 19:29
Nature: Medical Emergency
Thu Feb, 25 2021 @ 16:35
Nature: Medical Emergency
Thu Feb, 25 2021 @ 14:07
Nature: Traffic Collision - High Mechanism
Address: Williamsville Rd and Milford Harrington Hwy
City: , DE
|2021 - 50|
|2020 - 564|
|2019 - 636|
|2018 - 657|
|2021 - 290|
|2020 - 3404|
|2019 - 3312|
|2018 - 3136|